Friday, September 22, 2017
Saturday, September 23, 2017
Brock Environmental Center
3663 Marlin Bay Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
7th Annual Clean Water Captains' workshop, evening of Friday, September 22nd and all day Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 at the Brock Environmental Center in Virginia Beach
The Clean Water Captains program seeks to create a network of ambassadors for clean water in every Virginia locality. This annual training provides Captains and prospective Captains the most up-to-date, actionable science and policy information available. The training also provides opportunities for networking, paddling on Crab Creek, and bird watching at the Brock Environmental Center. Optional housing has been reserved at First Landing State Park for Friday, September 22nd and Saturday, September 23rd.
The 7th Annual training will focus on:
- smart growth to protect water quality,
- relationship building with elected officials,
- strategies to increase tree canopy, and
- group workshops to develop next steps for each Captain and each locality.
- Friday, September 22
- 2:00 p.m. Arrive at First Landing (for those staying overnight)
- 3:30 p.m. Paddle Crab Creek at the Brock Center
- 5:00 p.m. Happy Hour
- 6:00 p.m. Dinner and Welcome
- 7:00 p.m. Keynote Speaker: Tim Cole, Sustainability Officer for Virginia Beach Schools
- 8:00 p.m. Adjorn for bonfire and nighttime ranger-led activities at First Landing State Park
- Saturday, September 23
- 6:30 a.m. Optional guided bird walk at the Brock Center
- 7:30 a.m. Coffee and check-in for non-birders
- 8:30 a.m. Programming starts
- Bay Update and Virginia General Assembly 2018 Preview: Peggy Sanner, CBF Virginia Assistant Director and Senior Attorney and Joe Wood, CBF Virginia Staff Scientist
- Smarter Growth—A Better Approach to Protecting Water Quality: Richard Klein, Community and Environmental Defense Services and Clay Bernick, Hampton Roads Planning District Commission Planner
- Elected Officials: Congressman Scott Taylor, Delegate Chris Stolle, Norfolk City Councilwoman Andria McClellan
- Tree Canopy: Karen Firehock of the Green Infrastructure Center and Michael Nentwich, Norfolk City Forester
If you're interested in becoming a Captain or already are a Captain, please register early as seats are limited!
To learn more about the Captains prior to the training, or if you cannot attend the training, please join us for our monthly Captains' conference call, where we review the month's action items and debrief current Captains' projects. Captains' calls are on the first Wednesday of the month from 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. and again from 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. (two time options; only dial-in to one call). To get the dial-in number, please email LKersting@cbf.org.
Questions? Call the Virginia Office at 804-780-1392 to talk to Ann Jurczyk, Virginia Outreach Manager or contact the local grassroots staff:
Richmond/Central Virginia: Blair Blanchette, firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-780-1392
Shenandoah Valley: Robert Jennings, email@example.com
Hampton Roads: Tanner Council, firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-622-1964